Well, I’m officially the most pregnant I’ve ever been. I delivered A at 38 weeks exactly and today marks 38 weeks and 1 day of this pregnancy. The past few days I’ve been feeling quite a few contractions and I’ve been fairly nauseated also. I figured my body was prepping itself for labor and even went as far as telling my Hubs I was calling my symptoms early labor…that could last for a few hours or for many, many days. My doctor’s appointment yesterday confirmed my thoughts as I’m 2-3 cms dilated, about 70% effaced and Baby C has started to scoot downwards. Based on my conversation with my doc yesterday, I’m a walking time bomb. I could truly go into labor at any time. I have visions of my water breaking in public and I’ve decided to avoid upholstered furniture whenever possible. However, she did start talking induction next Friday at 39 weeks. Apparently she’s going to be out of town the week of Spring Break so if I don’t go into labor on my own before then, she’s more than happy to induce me early Friday, break my water around 8am and most likely have a baby before 5pm. These are her words. She also said she wouldn’t even consider it an induction at this point and more of an augmentation since I’m already in the early stages of labor. I really don’t want an induction for purely convenience sake (I don’t have a problem with it at all, I was just hoping for a different experience this time around), but at the same time, I’m not entirely thrilled about not having my doctor there. I trust her. If everything goes according to plan, I won’t really need the doctor to do anything but catch the baby on the way out, but what if something happens? I know she fully trusts her partners, and I’m even able to request another doctor or her midwife (I’ve already decided on the midwife) but I dunno. We’re taking the weekend to talk and think about it. I called back after leaving my appointment yesterday and spoke to sweet, calm Monica because I forgot to ask about a membrane sweep while I was there. She agreed it was worth a shot so I’m scheduled for one on Tuesday morning with the midwife. This works out well because it’s low intervention; it’s only going to work if my body is ready. If it’s going to send me into labor, it will most likely happen within 24 hours which allows me to still deliver with my doc. If it doesn’t, it still gives me time to get on the schedule for an induction on Friday. Also, if we decided against the induction, I’ve been able to see the midwife again (her name is Lori) so she’ll know I’ve asked for her to deliver Baby C and we can chat a little about my plans. I figure it’s worth a shot and Monica says Lori is REALLY good at membrane sweeps. How’s that for something to add to your resume?
It’s supposed to be beautiful here this weekend and we’ll spend the weekend doing yard work and getting some last minute housework done. I assume the Hubs and I will try to find some time to get jiggy with it too, since my doc swears that’s really the only “at home” remedy to help with labor. I suppose I should also pack my hospital bag, which I STILL haven’t done. Hubs DID get the actual bag out for me last night though, so we’re making progress. Maggie has her annual checkup this morning and I think that’s the last errand on my list of stuff to do before Baby C gets here. I don’t exactly know where my list is…I actually have several going at once. She’s been coughing some so I’m slightly on edge about getting bad news, but she was coughing last year too, and it turned out to be allergies. I’m crossing all my crossables that A is in a better mood today. She’s been a force to be reckoned with this week and I really hate the thought of having to leave her suddenly for a few days to have a baby while she and I aren’t getting along. I’m thinking she’ll probably get booted outside with the dogs for the majority of the day so hopefully it will be good for her soul. And now, I think it’s time for a cup of coffee on the patio.