Pursue your passions; chase your dreams.
If you’ve been following my blog for any length of time, or you just found me and have taken some time to read through my past posts, you know that my husband and I have been on quite the journey over the last 12ish months. I assume we’ve actually been on the journey much longer than that, being prepared for this time, but it feels like we were just brought into the loop, so to speak, only recently. Baby C will be 1 month old tomorrow. To say the last 4 weeks have been busy would be an understatement. Much has happened and we’re getting ready to make some big changes.
Long story short, the Hubs’ current employer and he are not seeing eye to eye. They haven’t been seeing eye to eye for quite some time, but it only recently got to a breaking point. While not trying to hide or conceal his side business, he didn’t go around his current employer’s work place promoting it…that would have been in clear conflict with his current position. His manager stumbled upon his site, and it has been an uphill battle ever since. She’s a control freak and decided what he was doing on the side was an “obvious” conflict of interest and clearly he should have obtained prior approval before delving into such an endeavour. I could go on and on about the absurdities that have transpired over the last few weeks, the poor handling of the whole thing and the ridiculousness that is his manager, but that isn’t the point of this post. The truth is, for a few days, where we truly thought the Hubs was going to be fired for violating company policy, we were a little freaked. I should probably mention this all unfolded on 3/22. We were supposed to hear back from his manager and a decision from HR on 3/23 (the anniversary of the day we lost the twins). We didn’t hear anything and got to sit and think about everything and come up with every possible outcome on 3/24 and 3/25 (the anniversary of their births). This is all smack-dab in the middle of the 2 weeks he was SUPPOSED to be on vacation/paternity leave. The timing of this whole ordeal is nothing short of poetic. We received the decision from the ethics department yesterday, which was totally in our favor. His side company is in no way a conflict of interest. There was no reason for him to get approval from his manager and they’ve noted it in his permanent file so it will never have to be discussed again. His website, that he had taken down a few weeks ago until this was resolved, was put back up last night. As I write, he’s only moments away from a conference call his manager scheduled this morning to discuss the decision from the Ethics department. No idea what she wants or how this conversation will end.
We’ve had a lot of time to think and to process over the last few weeks. Emotions have been running high and we’ve talked ad nauseam about all the possibilities that lie ahead. The timing is too impossible to ignore. A year ago we lost the twins. Almost a year ago the idea for his company started forming. Last summer the idea for his company, and where we wanted to take our lives was solidified when we went on vacation. It’s all documented here in my blog and we’re both a little ashamed to admit we haven’t really done much to accomplish the goals we set for ourselves. The truth is, there is no way Hubs can start a business part-time in his current role. He’s given it a good effort, but with his travel schedule, he flat-out doesn’t have the time it would take to get his business up and running on a part-time basis. His dream has been, since childhood, to own his own business. We’ve been able to spend the last few weeks considering a life style that didn’t include Hubs being gone 3 weeks out of the month. A life style that included flexibility and the ability to work from home, or Starbucks, or Barnes and Noble. A life style that allowed Hubs to be present, to make up for lost time in a way. At the beginning of this whole ordeal, his boss suggested it was probably good he was already on vacation so he could take some time to think about what he really wanted. That suggestion probably isn’t going to work out in her favor. She’s called his integrity and commitment into question multiple times over the last few weeks…and he’s just not the type of guy to put up with that; and he shouldn’t have to.
The truth is, we’re currently in a financial position to allow Hubs to quit his job and take a stab at his company on a full-time basis for several months. And while we have a substantial savings, the idea of him giving up his salary when I don’t work and we have 2 young kids still doesn’t feel like a good choice. But that certainly doesn’t mean it’s the wrong choice. In fact, a lot of times, the right decision is the most difficult road to walk. The decision to leave his current employer has already been made, it’s just a matter of when. This whole thing has been handled so poorly, and he’s been treated very poorly by his manager with regard to this situation. It’s not a job he’s willing to stay at when the demands (travel, hours, etc.) are so high. We’re trying to tie up a few loose ends before he walks away. The decision of what to do after that is still up in the air. The options are endless, really, but all boil down to whether or not he looks for another full-time gig or gives his business a go on a full-time basis and see where we end up in a few months.
We’re viewing this as an opportunity. We’ve been given the opportunity to look at our options and see that yes, he can walk away from his current job and we’ll be ok for “x” amount of time. We’ve been given the opportunity to think about what could be. It’s not some far-off dream at this point, but more of an attainable reality. So. Are we willing to take the plunge? Are we willing to take that step of faith? How fast can we run to chase our dreams?